The Top 10 Things I Have Learned As A Licensed Esthetician
- You are not alone:
- Acne is the most common skin disorder in the United States, affecting 40 million to 50 million Americans.
- Nearly 85 percent of all people have acne at some point in their lives, most often on the face, chest, and back.
- Never ever sleep in your makeup- it not only ages you but you will break out, it might not show up for a day or two but it will happen. Always keep makeup wipes on your night stand or in your purse for those days you are just to tired to wash your face before bed.
Eww, I know it’s gross. Lol. Better on the wipe then your pillow case..
- Wear sunscreen!! I can not stress this point enough. Scientific studies have shown that repeated ultraviolet (UV) exposure breaks down collagen and impairs the synthesis of new collagen. The sun also attacks our elastin. Sun-weakened skin ceases to spring back much earlier than skin protected from UV rays. Skin also becomes loose, wrinkled, and leathery earlier with unprotected exposure to sunlight.
This gentleman drove a truck for a living, the left side of his face stayed out of the sun, the right side was exposed every day for years. Can you tell a difference?
- You are what you eat. I don’t mean that if you eat greasy foods or chocolate it will break you out. I mean some people do get break outs from dairy.Studies show that certain dietary factors, including dairy products and carbohydrate-rich foods — such as bread, bagels and chips, which increase blood sugar — may trigger acne.
5.The more pricey the product the better it will work, wrong! Oil of Olay from the drugstore has beat out other much more expensive products
- 6. Do not pick at your pimples with your fingernails, notice I didn’t say at all. There are safe ways to properly pick without risking infection and the spreading of bacteria. Click here for the proper picking method and the handy pimple popping tool.
- If your going to pick do not try to pick a pimple that is not ready to be popped. If it does not have a head (the white puss pocket on the surface of the skin) do not attempt to pick it. I will just wind up pushing the bacteria further in the pore, your more likely to scar, and that zit will not surface or go away any quicker if you had just left it alone
Pick these types only!!
- Prevention is far less pricey than correction. It is far easier to prevent wrinkles and sun damage then to try to go back and correct the damage. Trust me it can cost you thousands and still not get the results you were hoping for. Ladies I recommend at good anti-aging eye cream starting around the age of thirty.
A good example of aging gracefully and without cosmetic procedures! Helen Mirren is 67 years old.
- Exfoliation is good once or twice a week, do not over do it. The thing to keep in mind is the goal of exfoliation. It should leave your skin feeling softer and looking healthier — not red and irritated. If you over-exfoliate, you could end up doing more harm than good.
- And most important, do not feel embarrassed about your skin. I am one to never go out in public without makeup, I have always been that way since the age of 11, when I started breaking out. I always feel the need to never let people see how bad my face or breakouts get. Just because I work in this field does not mean my skin is perfect either. I have access to lasers, peels, different cleanser, anything you can think of. I’ve researched and tried almost all of the natural acne remedies. I still break out regularly at the ripe old age of 29. It’s my genetics, both parents of mine had acne, I was doomed from the moment of conception to suffer. All I can do is keep it under control and try my best not to add fuel to the fire. That’s all anyone can do really, just know and keep telling yourself that at least you won’t age as quickly as others with dry or normal skin. The extra oil will keep your skin lubricated enough to slow down some the aging process.