What is the best foundation for Oily Skin?
For A List of Liquid Foundation Recommendations click here. Revlon, Laura Mercier, ELF, etc.
How to read makeup labels
When looking for foundation for oily skin most makeup companies label their products based on different skin types. Your best bet is to check the labels for descriptions with normal, oily, combination and dry.
The main ingredient in foundation is usually water, but they often include some type of oil for those with normal or aging skin. People with oily skin typically do not need the extra moisturizing properties some of these oils offer.
To find a foundation that helps control the shine and keep down oil production look for ingredients like sericite mica, and kaolin clay. Zinc oxide, green tea, petrolatum, and chamomile is good for soothing inflamed skin from breakouts.
- Sericite Mica- Sericite mica is a natural powdered mica with a fine grain size and silky shine. It is used as a talc substitute. It absorbs excess oils on the skin.
- Kaolin Clay- White Kaolin Clay is found in almost all powdered and dry cosmetics and most wet cosmetics.Its natural absorbent properties makes it essential in hygiene products and is often found in soaps, scrubs, poultices, deodorants, facial powders and masks. It is the mildest of all clays and is suitable to add to products created for people with sensitive skin. It helps stimulate circulation to the skin while gently exfoliating and cleansing it.
- Zinc Oxide- Zinc is an essential mineral that helps the skin repair damaged tissues and heal wounds. Zinc oxide is particularly efficient in treating surface irritants such as acne, skin sores, and minor wounds by helping the skin to regenerate quickly after damage is done to it.
- Green Tea- Compounds found in green tea, is effective at reducing skin inflammation. Drinking and using of green tea as a toner may help reduce acne-induced inflammation, which may help cut the development of scars by reducing the severity of acne sores.
- Petrolatum- Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found.
- Chamomile- The active ingredient in chamomile essential oil is known as bisabolol, which has a number of anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties.
Ingredients to avoid for oily acne prone skin
1. Lanolins- is simply sheep skin oil extracted from wool. Any form of lanolin derivatives such as etoxylated lanolins and acetylated lanolins are very acneagentic
2. Isopropyl myristate- Alcohol, Isopropyl (SD-40): a very drying and irritating solvent and dehydrator that strips your skin’s moisture and natural immune barrier, making you more venerable to bacteria, molds and viruses. These ingredient helps cosmetics apply more smoothly carry active ingredients into the skin, and gives them a slicker, sheer feel. Look for Propylene Glycol (PG), Butylene Glycol, and Polyethylene Glycol (PEG). All of these ingredients can cause irritation and acne. It also may promote brown spots and premature aging of skin.
3.Mineral Oil: a petroleum by-product, but not to be confused with petrolatum, that coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores. Interferes with skin’s ability to cut toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging. Did you know baby oil is made of 100% mineral oil?! I used to make DIY shaving cream with baby oil, but no more after finding this out.
4. D & C Red- red dyes are comedogenic, they are coal-tar derivatives and used in blushes. D & C red #’s 17, 21, 3, 30, and 36 are all bad for your skin.
It is also important to note that the further down on the ingredients label the ingredient is the less in the actual product. Some products may contain some of the ingredients listed above but have so little it is unlikely to cause a reaction.
My goal is to search out the best products out on the market for oily skin and share what I have learned with all of you. There are many forms of makeup so I’m going to break down my findings into categories such as mineral , liquid , tinted moisturizer, and cream . Everyone has been thoroughly evaluated to be compatible for an oily skin type!
- Safe Cosmetic Act of 2010 – Institute for Women’s Health Research … - Needless to say there are several harmful ingredients in most cosmetics that most people are unaware of..
Last updated byat .